[cfe-dev] [RFC] Embedding compilation database info in object files.

Rafael EspĂ­ndola rafael.espindola at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 05:22:56 PDT 2013

> I genuinely think that having a common database is far and away the best
> strategy for integrating tools into a development process. We should focus
> on updating build systems to directly write out these databases. That tends
> to be the most effective way to get the compilation database.

Changing the build system used by projects is hard, and changing some
build systems is not possible.

Would you be ok with a -fcompilation-db option that makes clang record
the necessary information to that db? By the way, any ideas how to
handle files that are compiled more than once? For example, when cross
compiling every file in lib/Support is compiled for the build and host
targets.

Cheers,
Rafael