[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] [RFC] add Function Attribute to disable optimization

Sean Silva silvas at purdue.edu
Thu Jul 18 14:29:14 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 8:23 AM, <Andrea_DiBiagio at sn.scee.net> wrote:

> So..
> I have investigated more on how a new function attribute to disable
> optimization on a per-function basis could be implemented.
> At the current state, with the lack of specific support from the pass
> managers I found two big problems when trying to implement a prototype
> implementation of the new attribute.
>
> Here are the problems found:
> 1) It is not safe to disable some transform passes in the backend.
> It looks like there are some unwritten dependences between passes and
> disrupting the sequence of passes to run may result in unexpected crashes
> and/or assertion failures;

This sounds like a bug. It's probably worth bringing up as its own
discussion on llvmdev if it is extremely prevalent, or file PR's (or send
patches fixing it!) if it is just a few isolated cases.

> 2)  The fact that pass managers are not currently designed to support
> per-function optimization makes it difficult to find a reasonable way to
> implement this new feature.
>
> About point 2. the Idea that came in my mind consisted in making passes
> aware of the 'noopt' attribute.
> In my experiment:
>  - I added a virtual method called 'mustAlwaysRun' in class Pass that
> 'returns true if it is not safe to disable this pass'.
> If a pass does not override the default implementation of that method,
> then by default it will always return true (i.e. the pass "must
> always run" pass even when attribute 'noopt' is specified).
>  - I then redefined in override that method on all the optimization passes
> that could have been safely turned off when attribute noopt was present.
> In my experiment, I specifically didn't disable Module Passes;
>  - Then I modified the 'doInitialize()' 'run*()' and 'doFinalize' methods
> in Pass Manger to check for both the presence of attribute noopt AND the
> value returned by method 'mustAlwaysRun' called on the current pass
> instance.
>
> That experiment seemed to "work" on a few tests and benchmarks.
> However:
>  a) 'noopt' wouldn't really imply no optimization, since not all codegen
> optimization passes can be safely disabled. As a result, the assembly
> produced for noopt functions had few differences with respect to the
> assembly generated for the same functions at -O0;
>  b) I don't particularly like the idea of making passes "aware" of the
> 'noopt' attribute. However, I don't know if there is a reasonable way to
> implement the noopt attribute without having to re-design how pass
> managers work.

A redesign of the pass manager has been on the table for a while and the
need seems more pressing daily. Definitely make sure that this use case is
brought up in any design discussions for the new pass manager.

-- Sean Silva