[cfe-dev] RFC: Promote AArch64 to be built by default

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Thu Jan 31 04:45:10 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 4:37 AM, Tim Northover <t.p.northover at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We'd like to promote the AArch64 backend to being built by default. I
> know it's very soon after the initial upload, but we think the backend
> is in a good position and should be stable.
>
> We'd very much like to get it tested in more diverse environments
> provided by the buildbots, and are committed to cleaning up any
> fallout as soon as possible, or as a last resort reverting the
> "enable" commit.
>
> As before, this doesn't affect our attitude to more reviews: they
> would be very welcome.
>
> Does anyone object to me making the necessary changes?

I'll own up to suggesting this on IRC. =]

Here is my rationale:
- Tim and others working on the backend have worked with the community for
a while now.
- Tim was particularly diligent in splitting off independent changes, and
all of those are already in place.
- There seems to be broad community support for the backend, so it seems
unlikely to be neglected.

This to me says that the concerns and protections of the experimental
backend aren't needed, and are more likely to impede progress than help it
-- specifically, we won't get good build bot coverage and diverse host
compiler coverage until it's enabled.

My 2-cents.
-Chandler