[cfe-dev] ld taking too much memory to link clang

Andre Cunha andrecunha.usp at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 16:16:02 PST 2013

Hello;

This is my first time compiling clang; I tried to do it in a computer with
4 GiB of RAM but no swap, and I had a problem: I checked out the latest
version of clang and llvm from the SVN repositories; when I ran 'make', the
computer freezed while linking clang, and I needed to do a hardware reset.

After that, I ran 'make' again, this time with a process monitor, and
realized that when 'make' called 'ld' to generate the 'clang' executable,
the 'ld' process allocated memory on and on until the computer freezed.

I searched the Web, and found someone saying that linking is a very
memory-hungry process (
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2300015), and that it's
necessary a big amount of swap memory in order to compile certain projects.

As I never experienced such a behavior when compiling other projects, I
decided to ask here: is this really supposed to happen? If so, what is the
minimum requirement (in terms of virtual memory) to build clang?

The environment was:
Fedora 18 (3.7.2-204.fc18.x86_64)
clang 3.1
GNU ld version 2.23.51.0.1-3.fc18 20120806

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is a stupid question.
--
Andre Cunha