[cfe-dev] Clang Tools

Mohammad Adil madil90 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 23:55:19 PST 2013

I am in the process of writing a rewriter program. In fact, it is almost
complete and it uses the clang internal api to process and rewriter a file
(I create an ast and use astconsumer and visitor to parse it).
Unfortunately, I am unable to find all c++ standard library paths
effectively. Some one in this mailing list suggested that I should convert
this to a clang tool. By "building separately from clang", I mean that I
should be able to keep my tool separate from clang and build and use it
separately from clang. The .json file method requires that my tool be
present in the clang directory and built along with clang. Is there any
other method to build stand-alone tools that compile just like any other
clang program.

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM, Manuel Klimek <klimek at google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 8:31 AM, madil90 <madil90 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>    I had a standalone clang program which I am trying to convert to a
>> clang
>> tool. My basic requirement is that my tool should be able to find all
>> default c++ paths and that it's build should be kept separate from the
>> clang
>> source. How can I do this? I tried using the .json file approach but that
>> does not enable to build my tool separately from clang. Please guide me on
>> how to write an independent tool (just give the steps. I will figure the
>> rest out) that can easily find all c++ header files.
>>

> Hi Adil,
>
> I'm not sure what you're looking for - that is, I don't understand what
> your exact requirements are, and why the .json compilation database didn't
> work for you. What exactly do you mean with "build separately from clang".
> And why's that a requirement?
>
> Cheers,
> /Manuel
>

>> Regards,