[cfe-dev] Inter procedural analysis across translation unit in clang static analyzer

Anna Zaks ganna at apple.com
Mon Jan 14 11:13:19 PST 2013

On Jan 14, 2013, at 1:52 AM, Karthik Bhat <blitz.opensource at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was going through clang project and found static analyzer to be a quite useful tool. I would like to work and contribute on the same. I went through the code and developed few basic checkers(Socket stream checker etc) to start with.
>
> I had a doubt which i wanted to clarify from the community.
>
> If i'm not wrong Clang static tool currently supports only one translation unit at a time and so inter procedural analysis across translation unit is not supported.

That is correct.

> Is there any plan to support the same in clang static analyzer?

This is something we would definitely like to address as it is one of the main missing pieces. I am not sure when we are going to address it.

> What kind of infrastructure would be required in static analyzer core to support this feature?

We have not designed this in detail yet. However, this is going to be a lot of work. We would probably go with summary based approach, where one constructs summaries for the analyzed functions; the summaries are then used when modeling the calls.

> Will it require detailed understanding of clang front end(AST etc)?

This project would require understanding the analyzer very well.