[cfe-dev] [RFC] Tutorial for Clang Analyzer Plugins

Oliver Schneider oliver at frisk.is
Mon Jan 14 03:40:24 PST 2013

On 2013-01-13 18:23, Sam Handler wrote:

>     We've discussed this internally and decided that we should not
>     advertise "the checker as a plugin" capability until we are ready
>     to support it. Currently, we have not tested it on any platforms
>     other than OS X, so we are not sure, for example, if the plugins
>     are going to work on Windows. We also do not know if the compilers
>     shipped on various platforms have their symbols stripped or not.
>     In addition, there is no effort to guarantee a rigid checker API.
>     The compiler and the plugins are expected to use the same headers.
>     Due to this, the plugins will only work with the compiler they are
>     written for. With the second restriction, in most cases, just
>     adding the checker to the source code of the compiler would be a
>     good option.
>

> Good points. As I recall, the MSVC compiler produces completely
> stripped binaries by default.
Indeed. The old format has been retired mostly, although, depending on
the compiler version used, there are ways to get the old behavior back.
However, debug symbols are usually still created in the form of an
external PDB file. Also keep in mind that until recently (until VS 2012)
MS produced different variations of their compiler, in particular for
the DDKs/WDKs. Not just the ones coming with Visual Studio.

// Oliver