[cfe-dev] RFC: Codifying (but not formalizing) the optimization levels in LLVM and Clang

henry miller hank at millerfarm.com
Mon Jan 14 04:27:32 PST 2013

As a user I like this it is hard to understand what each level does.  I know projects that are using O3 because 'more must be better'.  I don't know how to explain that it might be slower, and measuring performance is tricky. (Many programs do multpile things, and spend most of their time waiting on the event loop)

Would it be unreasonable to ask for a new/seperate set of optimizations: optimize debug.  This would apple agressive optimizations, but not "significantly" changing the order of the code.

I don't know the optimizer, but I know as a user of compilers that minimal optimization is often the difference between painfully slow program execution and okay performance. However debugging optimized programs can be difficult because the debugger jumps all over making the problem hard to understand.

I'll leave it to experts to debate shades.