[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] ARM failures

David Tweed David.Tweed at arm.com
Tue Jan 8 09:25:09 PST 2013

> Good point. The build bot is broken for a while and I assumed the person who
> did that commit would spot it better than I would,

|If the bot isn't configured to send fail-mail to the blame list,
|people probably won't notice. That's how the buildmaster/bots ended up
|in the rather multicolored state they are in now.

I think what happens from the buildbots depends on how many commits since the last build that succeeded. During peak commit time (working hours in the US) there can be 10-15 commits between builds. (Conversely it's not too unusual to see 1 commit between builds early in the morning UK time.) I think automated emails are generally only enable for bots where the average commits to be blamed is lower. Otherwise it's manual analysis, but a couple of times I've received emails from Galina when I've committed something that's increased the failures.

> but I shouldn't have
> assumed that the person would receive my email.

> I'll try to point the commit
> and re-send, copying the author.

|Specifically replying to the -commits mailing that committed the break
|is the most useful - it provides the context & keeps the discussion
|close to the code that it's related to.

Yes, although there are occasionally instances when there's multiple commits that break tests they don't touch so it's non-obvious what's responsible.

> Sorry for the noise.

| Not a problem. Good that people are looking at these things (& I've
| done the same thing you've done here in the past - because I had no
| idea what broke & I wanted to see if anyone had ideas/cared).

I think the biggest issue is that if a committer is unlucky (commit just after a buildbot kicks off) it can be 2.25+2.25=4.5 hours (due to two build cycles) before the buildbot turns red. I wish I had a magic suggestion to cure that, but I can't think of any.

Regards,
Dave

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.  Thank you.