[cfe-dev] FW: Using C++11 in clang-tools-extra Round 2

Vane, Edwin edwin.vane at intel.com
Mon Jan 7 16:57:47 PST 2013

Nico wrote:
C++11 library support on OS X requires libc++, which in turn means
that binaries won't run on OS X versions earlier than 10.7. Then again, newer Xcodes don't support 10.6 any more, so it's probably not a big deal. Just wanted to point this out.

[Edwin] Unless there's a lot of users of clang-tools-extra using older versions of OSX I don't we need to worry.

Likewise, libstdc++ doesn't build with -std=libc++ on linux either (with libstdc++ 4.4, 4.6, 4.7). How available is libc++ on linux systems? Do most distros offer a package for it?

[Edwin] I'm not sure I understand. Is the build of libstdc++ part of the standard llvm/clang/tools-extra build? I understood it to be a completely separate project. If so it won't impact using C++11 in tools-extra unless I'm missing the point.