[cfe-dev] Using C++11 in clang-tools-extra Round 2

Vane, Edwin edwin.vane at intel.com
Mon Jan 7 10:55:10 PST 2013

Near the end of November I first posed the question of using C++11 features in the clang-tools-extra repo. At the time I let the subject drop because of the problem identified of mixing standard libraries C++03 with C++11 between the llvm/clang builds and tools-extra. I'd like to look at this issue again.

What if we decide to make use of C++11 in tools-extra and make a C++11-enabled llvm/clang build be a requirement? As far as the build goes, we can support this by removing clang-tools-extra from the check-all target if C++11 is not enabled. I'm not sure how easy this is to detect but perhaps we can introduce a cmake/configure option to make 'detection' easier.

Should we make all tools in tools-extra C++11 enabled or have the tools 'opt-in'? I'd like to see cpp11-migrate use C++11 considering its purpose but clang-format sees a lot of work these days too and I'm not sure if that tool wants to be C++11-enabled too?

--
Edwin Vane
  Software Developer