[cfe-dev] Caching a unified ParentMap in the ASTContext?

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Wed Jan 2 11:08:48 PST 2013

On Jan 2, 2013, at 9:58 AM, Jordan Rose <jordan_rose at apple.com> wrote:

> I'm not so worried about the cost of building the map; the analyzer run tends to dwarf any linear-time operations anyway. I just don't want to build it for the entire translation unit, since we won't use most of it and we're already caching the per-function ones. I don't think that's a design issue, though.

Agreed.  It would be great if a "generic" parent map would just build the parts of the map on demand as necessary.  Then all clients could benefit from the optimization of only paying for what you use.

A reasonable approach to stage things would be to first move the current ParentMap to libStaticAnalyzerCore, and have the analyzer use that.  Manuel can then feel free to design a more generic data structure, and we can then evaluate whether or not to switch the analyzer over to using that.