[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] GSOC Projects

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Wed Feb 27 10:45:37 PST 2013

On 27 February 2013 18:23, Sean Silva <silvas at purdue.edu> wrote:

> Here's another project idea:
> We really have needed a `clang-config` for a long time; it's absence
> makes building programs depending on Clang a pain.

Hi Sean,

Indeed, this is part of the idea. Or rather, the long term idea.

I remember one of the critics of using tablegen for triple defaults and etc
was that it wasn't easily configurable and was just made that way to keep
compatibility with the ancient GCC triples, that were not triples to begin
with. It was then that the idea of having configuration files was born (not
from me), and I think that we should do something in that direction.

But I have spoken to many people, on and off the list, and while all of
them acknowledge that this is an important feature and one that affects us
all, nobody so far (among people and companies) is willing to spend time on
it. What I'm trying to do is to create self-contained projects with clear
goals, so that this can at least progress.

If this is more or less what you had in mind, maybe we could co-mentor
folks for that combined project. :)

cheers,
--renato