[cfe-dev] merge ASTs of multiple source files

Julia Demyanova julia.demyanova at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 02:23:24 PST 2013

Hello,

I'm doing inter-procedural data-flow analysis with clang. I need to parse
ASTs of several .c files together (to compute a fixed point I need to
switch between functions in different files).

I've tried three options as described below.

As far as I understand from the discussion in the mailing list
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/cfe-dev/2012-August/023865.html, there
is no out-of-box solution for merging ASTs in clang. One option is to
manually create a global symbol table for several units. My question is
then (in the suggested solutions) how to find the correspondence between
the definitions of the same user-define type in different ASTs.

I've also looked at ASTImport class, but it does not support import of some
AST nodes and also gives 'multiple definition' errors (even though there is
no multiple definition). Can it be used to merge ASTs of source files
rather than precompiled headers?

Finally, I've tried ASTImportAction but I don't understand which
command-line parameters should be passed to the ClangTool for this action.
I would be grateful for any hint.
Thank you very much,
Yulia.