[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] Integrated ARM assembler

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Tue Feb 5 13:43:10 PST 2013

Hi Greg,

1) The assembly parser does not parse the ARM-ELF directives.

Is this for inline asm?

> 2) The Exception Handling ABI does not appear to be supported.

AFAIK, this is not exclusive to the integrated assembler. EHABI doesn't
work properly with anything. Even the ASM tables generated don't make sense
on slightly more complicated cases. But I haven't tested recently to know.

>  Try this:
> $ echo "void a(){}" | clang -target arm-none-linux-gnueabi -mllvm
> -arm-enable-ehabi -integrated-as -c -xc -
> Not implemented yet

Seems to work for me... ;)

3) There are -Wa options that the integrated assembler does not recognize.

That's not really a problem and will *always* be that way. It doesn't make
sense for Clang/LLVM to implement every GCC flag as soon as GCC supports it.

I can see a few issues, but none that wouldn't make sense to turn it upside
down and require -no-integrated-as when the user needs special features
from GAS...

Otherwise, it's likely that it'll never be good enough to be enabled by
default and issues will never be fixed on it... :/

cheers,
--renato