[cfe-dev] Keyword warnings in libc++'s type_traits and other headers

Alp Toker alp at nuanti.com
Sun Dec 22 18:37:56 PST 2013

On 23/12/2013 00:46, Marshall Clow wrote:
> On Dec 22, 2013, at 1:58 PM, Alp Toker <alp at nuanti.com
> <mailto:alp at nuanti.com>> wrote:
>
>> On 22/12/2013 21:27, Dimitry Andric wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I ran into a situation where a C++ program was compiled with
>>> -Wsystem-headers.  When I did this with clang 3.4 or trunk, I got
>>> the following keyword warnings:
>> [snipped]
>>> include/type_traits:668:8: warning: keyword '__is_unsigned' will be
>>> made available as an identifier for the remainder of the translation
>>> unit [-Wkeyword-compat]
>>> struct __is_unsigned : public ___is_unsigned<_Tp> {};
>>>       ^
>>> 9 warnings generated.
>>>
>>> This seems to have been introduced with r196212 in clang by Alp
>>> Toker, but it is unfortunate the warning hits libc++. :-)  The cause
>>> is a bunch of Embarcadero keywords defined in clang's
>>> lib/Parse/ParseExpr.cpp, which are exactly the same as these
>>> libc++-internal identifers.
>>>
>>> Is the attached patch acceptable as a workaround?
>>
>> Hi Dimitry,
>>
>> Thanks for looking into this. Your analysis of the situation is
>> correct and the patch for libc++ is headed in the right direction.
>
> I am strongly against this patch on several levels.
>
> 1) I would like to understand why (and how we came to) have two
> different sets of type traits implementations with the same name; one
> in libc++ and the other in the Embarcadero version of clang. Or maybe
> it’s not just in the Embarcadero version - though they are listed in
> TokenKinds.def as "Embarcadero Type Traits”

I suspect those trait intrinsics were added to support another C++
standard library, the same way certain intrinsics have been added to
clang to support libc++.

clang is used by many vendors and I'm aware of various commercial and
free C++ standard libraries we support, both in C++ compliance mode and
in compatibility mode.

Thankfully most of those vendors are active or responsive contributors
to LLVM, or as in the case of MSVC there's a strong ongoing push to
achieve drop-in compatibility from the core clang team.

None of the trait intrinsics are inherently better or worse than others,
and all are reserved as an implementation detail intended to help clang
provide full-spectrum C++ support.

> 2). I would like to have a discussion about the *desirability* of
> having these in the compiler; clearly most of these type traits are
> implementable purely as a library.

It's a perfectly legitimate topic to discuss the merits of library vs.
intrinsic implementations but that conversation has to be between you
and the vendors of those other C++ standard library developers.

If you reach a consensus and they ship your proposed changes, we can
begin a cycle of deprecation until the intrinsics in question are no
longer in use.

As a maintainer of this code I can state that the intrinsics are not a
burden at present and have low cost to keep in tree, but if the time
comes some years down the line that they are no longer in use we'll be
sure to remove them.

Keep in mind however that some of these type traits are not
implementable in library form, which may have been the reason intrinsics
were selected in the first place for any particular C++ type trait.

Furthermore, even when a library version is possible, a thin header
structure wrapping a quality compiler intrinsic can yield significantly
efficiency gains. Consider that clang will be able to evaluate certain
type traits instantly without requiring deserialization of AST nodes
from pre-compiled headers or modules, sparing costly operations to
materialize long chains of dependent declarations.

It's my hope that we can coordinate with libc++ on ground-breaking
features like the one I described instead of nit-picking over reserved
namespaces.

> 3) I *hate* the idea of using “quad underscores” to differentiate
> names; I spent *two hours* a couple months ago trying to figure out
> why my code was failing, only to determine that I was calling __xxx
> instead of ___xxx. (triple underscore vs. double)  If we decide to
> change libc++ for this, I would recommend renaming __is_void to
> something like __libcpp_is_void - something visually different.

Underscores are a matter of style and it's your baby. Full credit to
Dimitry for proposing the initial fix and I'm sure he'll be responsive
to your review comments.

I agree that quad-underscores are less than ideal. Something like
__libcpp_* is easier on the eye and will help you avoid conflicts with
any compiler's intrinsics.

Keep in mind that where clang warns today, any other compiler already
issues a hard error so we're making the effort to provide due notice.
That said, we're starting to look to remove GNU header compatibility
hacks from the parser and it was never the plan that libc++ would begin
to use them.

tl;dr: There's no linkage or visibility so no negative impact in doing a
search-and-replace to make your headers parsable without hacks?

Alp.

--
http://www.nuanti.com
the browser experts