[cfe-dev] OpenCL C

Pekka Jääskeläinen pekka.jaaskelainen at tut.fi
Tue Dec 17 07:16:41 PST 2013

Hi Renato,

On 12/17/2013 03:19 PM, Renato Golin wrote:
> I may be completely wrong, but I think the OpenCL users have mixed
> feelings about a truly open source compiler. The lack of proper support
> in Clang (as you state), the existence of many other alternatives (like
> Clover and all proprietary ones) tells me that the support in Clang
> won't really fly unless someone cares enough about it.

I think there are people who do care about open source, and/or see
the disadvantages of a bunch of (private or not) diverged Clang
branches that implement the same features.

AFAIK Clover, like pocl, uses (or at least tries to) the upstream Clang
for an OpenCL C frontend. There are not many unimplemented features of
the OpenCL 1.2 language in Clang that I know of anymore.

> In light of that, if you care enough about it, and don't mind being
> included in patch proposals and merge requests, or spending a little
> extra time reviewing patches or bugging the right people to do so, I
> think you could easily be the code owner for OpenCL.

I'm afraid I'm still too novice with the Clang internals to
be competent for this task. I hoped SomeOneElse(tm) raised his/her
hand to take this job :P I can promise to do my best in reviewing
any patches though.

In any case, I do not understand why OpenCL C is treated as a kind of
a 2nd class language in Clang now, at least I get that feeling of it.

BR,
--
--Pekka