[cfe-dev] ARM Integrated Assembler

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Tue Dec 10 06:26:53 PST 2013

Hi Jim/Evan,

We had this discussion last year, and I think it's time we revisited
this issue again.

Many of us (Linaro, ARM, CodeAurora) have been using the ARM
integrated assembler for compiling large projects, the test-suite,
buildbots, and there seem to be no bug pending on them, with the
obscure cases being a few unsupported directives, some of which are
already being implemented, while the rest is reported but not crucial
to fixing it before IAS is default.

The true counter-example is the kernel, which still has many issues,
but I'm not expecting it to support everything in the kernel as of
now. That's why the LLVMLinux guys still use the -no-integrated-as
option by default for both x86 and ARM. Also, their plans is to zero
the patches to the kernel *before* making sure the IAS works
unpatched, which could take a long time.

In a nutshell, it seems to be our consensus that the integrated
assembly can now be turned on by default on ARM, and we should add
-no-integrated-as for the cases where it fails (like the kernel).

Do you agree with this consensus, and does it work as expected on Darwin?

cheers,
--renato