[cfe-dev] compile_commands.json for Windows/MSVC

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Sat Aug 17 13:07:23 PDT 2013

In article <CAGCO0KgVcAaZ2TMjVgrOamo+NAKHKrVuHNhacJ64E6i+QKO9nw at mail.gmail.com>,
    Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com> writes:

> As an alternative, you could add direct support to the tooling library for
> querying Visual Studio for the commandline if there is a reasonable IPC
> mechanism for doing that.
>
> As another alternative, you could add a plugin to Visual Studio that caused
> it to write out the json database whenever the project settings changed...
> If there is a reasonable plugin layer to do that.

Both of these approaches are feasible with the first one probably
being easier.

> I would personally view both of these as strictly superior to teaching
> CMake to do more things as they'll also work for non-CMake projects on
> Windows. And if these aren't feasible, maybe some other solution that is
> more generic.

Yes, I would rather get a compile_commands.json for non-CMake projects
as well from Visual Studio.

> I don't think this is the right approach. We should just finish the Clang
> driver's support that Reid and Hans have been working on. Honestly, it's
> already pretty close.

Yeah, with my hack I get usable results from libTooling as is, just a
bunch of warnings about arguments not understood.
     The Computer Graphics Museum <http://computergraphicsmuseum.org>
  Legalize Adulthood! (my blog) <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com>