[cfe-dev] Proposal for Uniqueness Analysis

Delesley Hutchins delesley at google.com
Mon Aug 12 09:59:12 PDT 2013

Arbitrary typestates are a very nice generalization of this work, and
as Dean mentions, there is plenty of prior work in the literature to
draw on.  I see two issues that need to be addressed, namely:  (1)
What is the best way to generalize the annotations to user-declarable
states?  (2) How do we handle aliasing?

With respect to (1), it seems pretty straightforward to parameterize
the attributes with arbitrary values, such as enums, and introduce one
predefined state, "Uknown", which represents the set of all states.
E.g.

enum ContainerState { CS_Empty, CS_NonEmpty };

class Stack {
  bool isEmpty() TEST_STATE(CS_Empty)
  { ... }
  T pop() STATE_TRANSITION(CS_NonEmpty, "Unknown"),
  { ... }
};

With respect to (2), the most tractable (although unsound) approach is
to assume no aliasing unless an object is explicitly aliased.  The
nice thing about the uniqueness property is that you don't have to
worry about aliasing, but that doesn't hold for other properties.  Any
other ideas?

I do want to mention one important caveat, which is that states like
"non-empty" are not always as useful in practice as one might hope.
The nice thing about the "consumed/unconsumed" analysis is that most
operations leave an object in a known state.  The pop() method, on the
other hand, transitions to an unknown state, which renders the
container unusable until a test method method is called.  That may, in
fact, be what you want; but it could also lead to a lot of false
positives, especially when users who don't fully understand the how
typestates work start implementing their own states.

Just my thoughts on the issue,

  -DeLesley

DeLesley Hutchins | Software Engineer | delesley at google.com | 505-206-0315