[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] C++AMP -> OpenCL (NVPTX) prototype

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Sun Apr 14 07:42:28 PDT 2013

----- Original Message -----

Dave,

[I've copied the cfe-dev list as well.]

Thanks for sharing this! I think this sounds very interesting. I don't know much about AMP, but I do have users who are also interested in accelerator targeting, and I'd like you to share your thoughts on:

 1. Does your implementation share common functionality with the 'captured statement' work that Intel is currently doing (in order to support Cilk, OpenMP, etc.)? If you're not aware of it, see: http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/cfe-commits/Week-of-Mon-20130408/077615.html -- This should end up in trunk soon. I ask because if the current captured statement patches would almost, but not quite, work for you, then it would be interesting to understand why.

 2. What will be necessary to eliminate the two-clang-invocations problem. If we ever grow support for embedded accelerator targeting (through AMP, OpenACC, OpenMP 4+, etc.), it sounds like this will be a common requirement, and if I had to guess, there is common interest in putting the necessary infrastructure in place.

 -Hal