[cfe-dev] GSOC Static Analyzer Proposal

Anna Zaks ganna at apple.com
Thu Apr 11 10:30:13 PDT 2013

On Apr 10, 2013, at 9:44 AM, Sean Silva <silvas at purdue.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 11:51 PM, Adam Schnitzer <adamschn at umich.edu> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am planning on proposing a project for Google Summer of Code this summer, and would like to get your feedback before I write up a formal proposal.
>
> I would like to work on improving support for C++ in the static analyzer. Specifically, I think it would be valuable to improve the checkers for undefined behavior including those already suggested.
>
> Also, I think it would be helpful to extend the static analyzer to check for stylistic violations. For example, projects like LLVM have suggestions like, "Don't use else after a return". These warnings would often be noisy, and project dependent, so it would be useful to make those options configurable and suppressible.
>
> I am also interested in implementing several of the optimization checkers. Specifically, it would be valuable to have warnings about postfix increment and pass by value give an idea of how large the object being copied is.
>

> All these ideas sound valuable. I recommend initially focusing on just one of them though, and get to the others as time permits.

+1

It would be good to focus on one or several of checks and have a concrete plan of how they will be implemented. You can send the specifics to the list to get some feedback. Additional bonus would be to choose the checks that are not currently covered by other tools in clang/llvm family but this is not a requirement in my opinion.

I would choose something from C++ undefined behavior or the optimization buckets you mention above. Try to aim for the checks that have a high payoff (in the number of possible bugs/bug severity) and are easier to implement in the static analyzer (do not require too much infrastructure support).

Anna.