[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] SPIR Portability Discussion

Richard Smith richard at metafoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 12 14:51:06 PDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Villmow, Micah <Micah.Villmow at amd.com>wrote:

>  ** **

Oops, I meant sizeof(void*) - 5.

> ****
>
> *[Villmow, Micah] ‘ICE’? Integer compile time expression? While not
> pretty, this can be represented in SPIR with the following sequence on
> instructions*
>
> *%1 = call %spir.size_t @__spir_sizet_convert_size_t(i32 3)*
>
> *%2 = call %spir.size_t @__spir_size_of_sizet()*
>
> *%3 = call %spir.size_t @__spir_sizet_sub(%spir.size_t %1, %spir.size_t
> %2)*
>
> *%4 = call %spir.size_t @__spir_sizet_convert_i32(%spir.size_t %3)*
>
> *%5 = alloca i32, i32 %4*

My point here was that if sizeof(void*) is an integer constant expression,
then this code has a constraint violation if sizeof(void*) is 4 but not if
sizeof(void*) is 8 (and my example was intended to be of a global array,
not a function-local one, so you can't fall back to treating it as a VLA).
Another case which might depend on this:

enum E {
  a = sizeof(void*) // is this valid?
};

Based on the behavior you describe above, it looks like sizeof applied to a
pointer (and to size_t etc.) isn't a constant expression in SPIR's model.

Another factor to consider, with size_t etc as defined in SPIR, is the
usual arithmetic conversions. For instance (assuming a 64-bit long long),
sizeof(int) + 1LL would be signed if size_t is 32 bits wide, and would be
unsigned if size_t is 64 bits wide. How is this handled?

> How do you perform record layout if the size of a pointer is unknown? For
> instance:
>
> **
>
> ** **
>
> struct A {****
>
>   int *p;****
>
>   int n;****
>
> } a;****
>
> int arr[offsetof(A, n) - 3]; // or, int arr[(char*)&a.n - (char*)&a.p - 3];
> ****
>
> *[Villmow, Micah] Since in the current implementation of SPIR, a pointer
> is defined as 64bits when in a structure(SPIR spec 2.1.5), the offsets
> themselves are well defined.*

I see, that makes sense.