[cfe-dev] devirtualisation appears to crash clang on covariant functions on ARM

David Tweed david.tweed at arm.com
Mon Oct 22 09:10:06 PDT 2012

It's difficult to debug what's going on because the module verifier is
running/crashing on the complete module once assembled. Digging through the
clang code without understanding the big picture, it looks like it might be
that the decision whether or not to devirtualise is made _before_ figuring
out the effects of the ABI on C++ issues, so that the derived function's
return type appears to be the same as the virtual method master signature.
So at that point a decision to devirtualise is done, which generates code
which then fails the verifier.

If I extend the test in CGExprCXX.cpp:220 from

    if (DevirtualizedMethod &&
        DevirtualizedMethod->getResultType().getCanonicalType() !=
         MD->getResultType().getCanonicalType())

    if ((DevirtualizedMethod &&
        DevirtualizedMethod->getResultType().getCanonicalType() !=
         MD->getResultType().getCanonicalType())
        || (CGM.getContext().getTargetInfo().getCXXABI()==CXXABI_ARM &&
isa<CXXDestructorDecl>(MD)))

then clang runs OK on the test on both x86-64 and ARM EABI (although it
obviously fails to devirtualise the destructor in the ARM case). I'm not
sure this is the right approach: although I don't think there's any other
way for an ABI to convert a non-covariant virtual function "group" into a
covariant virtual function "group", I'm not confident in my knowledge of
C++'s nasty corner cases and platforms that conform ot part of the ABI to be
sure of this is only doing what's required.

Any insight from anyone who has a better understanding of this stuff would
be appreciated,

Cheers,
Dave