[cfe-dev] Question concerning the state of the source on master (using Git)

Oliver Schneider oliver at f-prot.com
Fri Nov 30 21:14:44 PST 2012

Hello,

a few days ago I tried to fetch the latest changes from the Git mirrors
and then rebuild the source code. Unfortunately this fails with the
following error messages:

llvm[3]: Compiling NeonEmitter.cpp for Release+Asserts build
NeonEmitter.cpp: In function ‘void ParseTypes(llvm::Record*,
std::string&, llvm::SmallVectorImpl<llvm::StringRef>&)’:
NeonEmitter.cpp:249: error: ‘TGError’ was not declared in this scope
NeonEmitter.cpp: In member function
‘void<unnamed>::NeonEmitter::emitIntrinsic(llvm::raw_ostream&,
llvm::Record*)’:
NeonEmitter.cpp:1384: error: ‘TGError’ was not declared in this scope
NeonEmitter.cpp: In member function
‘void<unnamed>::NeonEmitter::runHeader(llvm::raw_ostream&)’:
NeonEmitter.cpp:1459: error: ‘TGError’ was not declared in this scope
NeonEmitter.cpp:1504: error: ‘TGError’ was not declared in this scope
NeonEmitter.cpp:1603: error: ‘TGError’ was not declared in this scope

I think I noticed it first probably two weeks ago, but didn't have any
real time to look into it.

So when I grep through the source tree:

$ grep -R TGError *
tools/clang/utils/TableGen/NeonEmitter.cpp:        throw
TGError(r->getLoc(),
tools/clang/utils/TableGen/NeonEmitter.cpp:    throw
TGError(R->getLoc(), "Builtin has no class kind");
tools/clang/utils/TableGen/NeonEmitter.cpp:      throw
TGError(R->getLoc(), "Builtin has no class kind");
tools/clang/utils/TableGen/NeonEmitter.cpp:      throw
TGError(R->getLoc(), "Builtin has no class kind");
tools/clang/utils/TableGen/NeonEmitter.cpp:      throw
TGError(R->getLoc(), "Builtin has no class kind");
utils/TableGen/CodeGenInstruction.cpp:    //  throw TGError(Loc, "reg0
used for result that is not an "

The only file referencing this exception class is NeonEmitter.cpp. But
no definition of that class to be found anywhere. I have to admit that
before that I didn't try to rebuild the clang-analyzer for quite some time.

Looking at one of the recent diffs I am surprised to find this has been
fixed at least since:
<http://llvm.org/viewvc/llvm-project?view=rev&revision=166691>

Is the Git mirror not up-to-date what am I missing? Git tells me I am on
branch master.

And I can see recent commits:

commit 702aa2ee19132593b552d211c985aa540787c197
Author: Zhou Sheng <....>
Date:   Sat Dec 1 04:38:53 2012 +0000

Thanks for any insights into what might be wrong here,

// Oliver

PS: yes, I did: git fetch && git pull - and I have no changes of my own.