[cfe-dev] Introducing cfe-users mailing list!

Tanya Lattner lattner at apple.com
Thu Nov 15 10:49:15 PST 2012

On Nov 15, 2012, at 7:10 AM, David Chisnall <David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 14 Nov 2012, at 23:13, Chris Lattner wrote:
>
>> Calling it cfe-users is consistent with our other clang mailing lists.  When the mailing lists are *all* moved of mail.cs.uiuc.edu, we'll rename all the clang lists to be clang-* instead of cfe-*.  In the meantime, consistency is good.
>
> Consistency is good if it means that comprehension comes faster, not as an objective in itself.  For an existing clang developer, you can safely assume that they know that cfe and clang are interchangeable.  But why would a new clang user with questions assume that cfe means clang?  It is not important that a new user realises that they can join the cfe-* lists if they want to do development work, because by the time that they are ready to contribute they should understand that clang is an LLVM front end and not just a gcc replacement.  It is important that they are able to understand that they have found the list that they are looking for and that is much more likely if it is called clang-users than cfe-users.

One could argue that you already have this problem with new people and they seem to find cfe-dev just fine. But I'm not saying the name is perfect, but just having the list is a step in the right direction.  cfe-users is for people who are using it as a compiler. Not people who are creating tools or using APIs.. thats development and therefore cfe-dev.The User's guide should be update to mention the list. (http://clang.llvm.org/docs/UsersManual.html). If no one else does it, I will eventually get to it.

This was already discussed many months ago on the list and it was decided to go with cfe-users, so thats why the list was created. I just finally got around to announcing it since the dev-meeting stuff cleared off my plate.

-Tanya