[cfe-dev] Why is -Wshadow not in -Wextra?

Seth Cantrell seth.cantrell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 16:36:39 PST 2012

There's probably a fair amount of code that does use shadowing and so -Wshadow might be too noisy to be part of -Wall -Wextra.

Instead of just using -Wall -Wextra and an additive strategy for warnings you can use -Weverything and a subtractive strategy (-Wno-...) where you make an informed choice on each specific warning that you do not want to apply to your codebase. -Wall and -Wextra are necessarily the result of a compromise that might not be best for your specific project, and it is somewhat annoying to search for all the warnings you might want to use, especially as you may not remember to reevaluate when the available warnings are updated. With a subtractive strategy it's hard to avoid discovering new warnings.