[cfe-dev] Clang now the default compiler for FreeBSD on x86

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Mon Nov 5 18:17:22 PST 2012

On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 07:51:22AM +0700, "C. Bergstr?m" wrote:
> On 11/ 6/12 02:55 AM, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > FYI, I've thrown the switch and made clang the default compiler on
> > FreeBSD-CURRENT (development branch) for x86 systems.  I suspect this
> > will yield a modest in increase in bug reports in the short to medium
> > term as the user (and application) base expends again.
> I thought this wasn't supposed to happen until 12.21.2012? #jk
> ---------------
>
> Side curiosities
> The FreeBSD codebase don't have any OpenMP?

No, we're not using any significant extensions to C a this point.

> Are you and if so how are you doing performance validation?

We've done some limited adhoc benchmarking.  In one example, the last
page of this document shows a small performance regression on the order
of 1-2% in a mysql benchmark.  Obviously we'd like to see the numbers
going the other direction, but that's in the range I'd consider acceptable.

http://people.freebsd.org/~flo/perf.pdf

-- Brooks