[cfe-dev] Best strategies

Dmitri Gribenko gribozavr at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 10:32:46 PDT 2012

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Miguel Guedes <miguel.a.guedes at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking at developing a FOSS tool for GNU/Emacs, written in C++, that
> makes use of clang's powerful features.

Hello Miguel,

libclang is usually used for accomplishing typical IDE tasks.  These
is a (generally) stable C interface to Clang. [1, 2]  While it is also
possible to use internal Clang interfaces that are more powerful,
these are not stable.

There was a relevant proposal which describes an interesting approach
to provide a new kind of interface for IDE-like tools. [3]  There was
almost no discussions on cfe-dev about clangd since then, but it does
not mean that the proposal is inactive -- someone might be working on
that in a branch.

Dmitri

[1] http://clang.llvm.org/doxygen/group__CINDEX.html
[2] http://llvm.org/devmtg/2010-11/ libclang: Thinking Beyond the Compiler