[cfe-dev] clang: build failure on Ubuntu 11.10

Marc J. Driftmeyer mjd at reanimality.com
Thu Nov 1 16:52:13 PDT 2012

What is your exact set up?

In reference on my system:

KNOWN:

Debian Sid/Unstable Kernel 3.2.

GCC DEFAULT SETUP:

gcc (Debian 4.7.2-4) 4.7.2

LLVM/Clang/LLDB/Compiler-RT/LIBCXX Trunk via SVN under their proper
checkout points. [lldb/clang under /trunk/llvm/tools, compiler-rt/libcxx
under /trunk/llvm/projects, test-suite/llvm-test under /trunk/llvm/projects]

CONFIGURATION CMAKE SETUP:

cmake version 2.8.9

PROCEDURE I USE TO BUILD:

Two stages.

Create a build directory for trunk against gcc outside of trunk.

$ mkdir cmake-gcc-trunk

Configure with cmake generic configuration with no optimization flags on
the compilers just to get it to build.

user at host: cmake-gcc-trunk$ cmake -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=/usr/bin/gcc
-DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=/usr/bin/g++ ../trunk/llvm

user at host: cmake-gcc-trunk$ make

You can edit the CMakeCache.txt file and set up MinSizeRel, set BOOL to
ON for LLVM_EXAMPLES, CLANG_EXAMPLES, TEST-SUITE, SHARED_LIBRARIES, etc.

You can also copy down all those areas you want configured how you want,
put them in a shell script and run the steps to update your cmake config
and thus keep the CMakeCache.txt file current.

Once you build and install into /usr/local

Create a build directory for trunk against clang/clang++ local outside
of trunk.

$ mkdir cmake-clang-trunk

Configure with cmake generic configuration with no optimization flags on
the compilers just to get it to build.

user at host: cmake-clang-trunk$ cmake -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=/usr/local/clang
-DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=/usr/local/bin/clang++ ../trunk/llvm

user at host: cmake-gcc-trunk$ make

 From then on you only occasionally have to deal with broken updates via
svn/git not fully up-to-date before clang/clang++ can self-host builds
under /usr/local.

NOTE: On occasion ubuntu, debian and other distributions have to update
their gcc defaults and made aware within llvm/clang when building
against and trying to find the necessary header files, but that always
gets resolved.

- Marc