[cfe-dev] Getting involved with Clang refactoring

Bill White bill.white at griggsinst.com
Thu May 24 08:42:35 PDT 2012

I'm following this discussion closely, as I'm working on a very
similar constellation
of problems.  I'm interested in clang_complete and some form of clang indexing,
but for emacs, not for vim.  I'm thinking that the indexing tool
should be something
like ctags or gid, but smarter.  I'm working on a python tool to
extract build information
from the output of gmake.  (FWIW, I think I have management interest
in contributing
my code to clang, or emacs, or whatever my code ends up being useful for.)

Does anybody know if the uses of the compilation database cares about the
first parameter in the command?  What I'm asking is, if I interpose my command,
say mk_compile_db, for a call to g++, and then do gmake --makeall
CC=mk_compile_db...
the compilation command will say that mk_compile_db is the command, not g++.
It turns out that the path to g++ is explicit in our build system, so
I can't just change
the first word to "g++" and give an accurate answer.  On the other
hand, maybe it
doesn't matter what the command is.  Maybe the libtooling facilities ignore the
first word, or maybe they expect the first word to be elided altogether.

I could investigate the code, but I think I'd rather know what the
intended behavior is.