[cfe-dev] [RFC] Bump up clang's __GNUC_MINOR__

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Sat May 12 13:43:50 PDT 2012

I have previously objected because I worry about getting sucked into
busy-work trying to support "just one more" GCC extension. Also, I think
that eventually projects will need to start using clang-specific
preprocessor guards to enable features.

That said, today I'm a lot less nervous about the "just one more" extension
thing -- partly because we're already stuck in that cycle, and partly
because we've got a lot more contributors so it seems less scary to have to
keep up.

I think I'm down with the change as well, but I'd like to carefully
document what we mean by the emulation so when we get questions (as I have
repeatedly in the past) of the form: "Why does Clang claim to support GCC
4.X.Y when it doesn't support feature Foo?" Essentially I think we should
state that Clang is acting as a subset of a "modern" GCC, supporting most
but not all of its features. Then folks can guard with Clang-specific
macros if they need to differentiate that subset.