[cfe-dev] scan-build man page

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Mon May 7 10:21:01 PDT 2012

Hi James,

The man page looks really great.  My main concern, however, is supporting divergent documents.  Ideally we want the documentation for scan-build, the man page, etc., to all be in sync.  My main concern about having a separate man page file is that someone is now responsible for keeping it up-to-date.  It's a bit of engineering, but I'd prefer we go in a direction where the man page and the scan-build documentation on the website (or at least part of it) were machine generated from some common description, which includes the common prose and the the checker options.

It sounds like you had a fairly mechanical process for generating the man page (you took scan-build's output and manually post processed it).  Do you think we could automate this with a script, so the man page could just be a product of the build?  Alternatively, since scan-build generates most of this text, maybe it could generate the options part of the man page itself (as an option to its output format), and have that output concatenated with some common preamble.  What do you think?

Cheers,
Ted