[cfe-dev] decent manual for clang

Eli Friedman eli.friedman at gmail.com
Fri May 4 13:29:17 PDT 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 12:02 PM, James K. Lowden
<jklowden at schemamania.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2 May 2012 13:25:30 -0700
> Eli Friedman <eli.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For documenting command-line options in particular, there are
>> essentially two pieces here.  One, we want some sort of TableGen
>> integration so we can track which options are documented and possibly
>> integrate documentation into clang.
>
> Could you expand on that a bit?  I don't know what TableGen is yet.

Basically, we have a list of options in
clang/include/clang/Driver/Options.td, and it's processed by an LLVM
tool called TableGen (see clang/utils/TableGen/).  We should be using
that list of options to both generate the appropriate C++ declarations
and generate the appropriate documentation.

>> Two, we need to actually write the documentation.
>
> I am willing to devote some time to that cause.  I have found that
> writing the documentation is a good way to learn about the thing being
> documented.

Cool.  http://clang.llvm.org/docs/UsersManual.html could certainly use
a lot of work, both in terms of missing pieces and reorganizing our
documentation to be more user-friendly.  The documentation is part of
the clang source tree, in clang/docs/, so you can submit patches to
that to cfe-commits the same way you would for code patches.

-Eli