[cfe-dev] decent manual for clang

Eli Friedman eli.friedman at gmail.com
Wed May 2 13:25:30 PDT 2012

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Gordon Keiser <gkeiser at arxan.com> wrote:
> I was strongly considering putting together at least a quick manual for command line flags, optimization levels, and same for passing things into LLVM from the -mllvm option.   Unfortunately tracking down the relationship between one of the undocumented flags in the tablegen and what it eventually causes to happen in the rest of the build process became very complicated very fast, and some of the other flags don't seem to do what their names imply due to language standards being followed by Clang which other compilers might have considered optimizations, particularly the aggressive constant folding and command line options that *seem* related to it not doing what one would expect.

For documenting command-line options in particular, there are
essentially two pieces here.  One, we want some sort of TableGen
integration so we can track which options are documented and possibly
integrate documentation into clang.  Two, we need to actually write
the documentation.

I don't really have much time to spend on this at the moment, but if
you have questions about a specific option, I'll do my best to answer.

On a side note, I don't think we want to document -mllvm beyond "this
exposes internal options; use at your own risk" (except maybe "-mllvm
-disable-llvm-optzs").

-Eli