[cfe-dev] GSoC 2012 project idea: PDB format support.

Bryce Cogswell bryceco at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 24 10:47:45 PDT 2012

A more recent PDB parser is here:

http://code.google.com/p/pdbparser/

________________________________
 From: Svyatoslav Kuzmich <svatoslav1 at gmail.com>
To: Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhgari at gmail.com>
Cc: "cfe-dev at cs.uiuc.edu" <cfe-dev at cs.uiuc.edu>; Joe Abbey <jabbey at arxan.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2012 1:45 AM
Subject: Re: [cfe-dev] GSoC 2012 project idea: PDB format support.

Thank you for suggestions. I also found book: Undocumented windows 2000 secrets. Its outdated but contains some information about PDB structure. It also has an open-source PDB explorer (probably outdated too).
Unfortunately I have no official documentation.

I agree project is too big for one student. That's why I'd like to propose only a part. Maybe there is a student who want to cooperate? It would be nice to divide the project into parts and do it together.

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 1:22 AM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhgari at gmail.com> wrote:

AFAIK Wine's implementation of dbghelp.dll includes code for reading PDB files.

>Cheers,
>--
>Ehsan
><http://ehsanakhgari.org/>
>

>On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Sandeep Patel <deeppatel1987 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>It looks like the format is pretty well described at
>>http://ccimetadata.codeplex.com
>>
>>deep
>>

>>On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Joe Abbey <jabbey at arxan.com> wrote:
>>> The PDB file format is historically undocumented.  We've been trying to get
>>> a copy of the spec for years, and have even held several calls with MSFT
>>> compiler teams and they've been unwilling to provide documentation.  I'm
>>> thinking this alone is a blocker to complete any forward progress on this
>>> effort.
>>>
>>> The DIA SDK does provide PDB reading capabilities, but no emission.  While I
>>> agree that it would be extraordinarily cool to have, unless you want to
>>> reverse engineer the proprietary format, I'm afraid it's a dead-end.
>>>
>>> Joe
>>>
>>> Joe Abbey
>>> Director of S/W Development
>>> Arxan Technologies, Inc.
>>> 1305 Cumberland Ave, Ste 215
>>> West Lafayette, IN 47906
>>> jabbey at arxan.com
>>> www.arxan.com
>>>
>>> On Mar 23, 2012, at 2:43 PM, David Chisnall wrote:
>>>
>>> On 23 Mar 2012, at 17:42, Svyatoslav Kuzmich wrote:
>>>
>>> I would like to implement support of VIsual Studio debug info format (*.pdb)
>>> as part of Google SoC 2012.
>>>
>>> Is it suitable for Clang? Is there someone who want to mentor for this
>>> project?
>>>

>>> It certainly sounds interesting and worthwhile, but it would be a pretty
>>> huge project - I don't think you could expect to complete it in the 10 weeks
>>> of the GSoC.  Have you looked at the complexity of the existing debug info
>>> stuff in LLVM (this is more of an LLVM project than a clang one, since clang
>>> would emit the same debug info to the IR, it would just be translated
>>> differently into the final output) and do you have documentation for the pdb
>>> format?  For it to be a good project for the GSoC, you'd need to split it
>>> into a series of smaller steps and indicate how long you thought each one
>>> would take.
>>>
>>> Please don't take this as discouragement - better Windows support is
>>> definitely something that we'd like to see, and being able to use Clang and
>>> the Visual Studio debugger would make a lot of people I know happy...
>>>
>>> David

Svyatoslav Kuzmich