[cfe-dev] clang on WinXP + MinGW

Jason Sachs jmsachs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 10:50:44 PDT 2012

I'm having a horrible time trying to get clang to work on Windows. I'm
on WinXP and have installed the latest version of MinGW
http://voxel.dl.sourceforge.net/project/mingw/Installer/mingw-get-inst/mingw-get-inst-20111118/mingw-get-inst-20111118.exe

Are there any prebuilt binaries of clang 3.0 or 3.1 that work with WinXP?

I tried downloading from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/files/Toolchains%20targetting%20Win64/Personal%20Builds/rubenvb/4.7.0-3/
but Windows complains that they're not valid executables (presumably
win64).

Then I tried downloading the 2.9 prebuilt binaries from
http://llvm.org/releases/download.html#2.9 and the C compiler with no
options seems to work OK:

--- begin file test.cpp ---
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
  printf("hi there\n");
  return 0;
}
--- end file test.cpp ---

but when I go to emit LLVM output, I get this error:

C:\appl\llvm\2.9\clang\bin>clang -I c:\appl\mingw\20111118\include test.cpp

C:\appl\llvm\2.9\clang\bin>clang -I c:\appl\mingw\20111118\include
test.cpp -emit-llvm
clang: error:
      'i386-pc-mingw32':
      unable
      pass
      LLVM
      bit-code
      files
      linker

How do I fix this? There's nothing I could find online that describes
what to do about this error; I don't know which environment variables
I need to set up propertly, if any.

--Jason