[cfe-dev] clang documents

Kevin Kelley kevin at kelleysoft.com
Thu Mar 8 12:19:12 PST 2012

On 3/8/2012 1:26 PM, John Criswell wrote:
> On 3/8/12 6:38 AM, Zhe Chen wrote:
>> Dear collegues,
>>         I would like to study clang for code analysis research. For
>> example, I need to traverse and even instrument the generated AST.
>>         However, I am now a beginner to clang. I don't know where to
>> start, e.g. reading its code base. I would like to know if somebody
>> has documents on clang's architecture and modules. I don't think that
>> clang API documents (http://clang.llvm.org/doxygen/) are good for
>> beginners. Maybe I need more detailed explainations. Please give me
>> some suggestions.
>>         Thanks!
> Have you examined the documentation on the Clang web page (such as
> http://clang.llvm.org/docs/InternalsManual.html)?

I'm finding it useful  to stick to the C interface to Clang, as opposed
to jumping straight
in to the full codebase.  The C interface is I guess meant to be minimal
but fairly
complete, so it's a lot easier to follow the intended usages, and to get
familiar
with what are the core components.

Writing some sample code using just the APIs exposed in
'include/clang-c/Index.h'
is, I think, the easiest way to get going.

Kevin