[cfe-dev] is configure+make dead yet?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Jun 26 12:52:08 PDT 2012

On 6/26/2012 3:26 PM, James K. Lowden wrote:
> I have company.  Users of autoconf outnumber those of Cmake by 10:1 if
> not 1000:1.
I don't think this is true anymore.

If you look at CMake compared to autotools in ohloh, CMake is on the
rise with autotools on the decline:

http://www.ohloh.net/languages/compare?measure=commits&percent=true&l0=cmake&l1=autoconf&l2=automake&l3=-1&l4=-1&commit=Update

Same thing for google search trends:
http://www.google.com/trends/?q=cmake

See slide number 11 and 12 here:
http://noulard.name/CMake/CMake-tutorial-8feb2012.pdf

CMake has over 4K downloads per day from www.cmake.org.  So, using CMake
certainly does not put you in the minority.

> So.  If the goal of the Clang project is to have ever more users of
> Clang, it's in the project's interest to support autoconf for the
> foreseeable future.  Even if that's *not* the goal, supporting autoconf
> might continue to be easier than dealing with a lot of Cmake issues and
> questions on cfe-dev.

I will leave Clang goals to you folks.  However, if having a cross
platform build that works on Windows is part of that.  I think CMake
would be the best way to do achieve that.

-Bill

--
Bill Hoffman
Kitware, Inc.