[cfe-dev] is configure+make dead yet?

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Sat Jun 23 06:34:04 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM, NAKAMURA Takumi <geek4civic at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/6/23 Joshua Cranmer <pidgeot18 at gmail.com>:
>> I decided to try recently to do one of my builds with cmake instead of
>> configure. The problem I hit is before I even try compiling in the first
>> place: cmake /src/llvm --help produces an extremely useless list of options,
>> so it's impossible to figure out how to configure it with cmake without
>> looking up online. Compare this to /src/llvm/configure --help, where I can
>> see what the default build will look like and also how I can tweak it for
>> what I want. Even the online documentation is kind of crappy in this regard:
>> e.g., LLVM_TARGETS_TO_BUILD doesn't tell you *which* targets you can build
>> in the first place. I'm sure most people who do a lot of cmake know these
>> settings by the back of their hand, but if you're like me and totally
>> clueless when it comes to cmake, it's downright confusing.
>
> ccmake will help you.
> After generating makefiles, "make edit_cache" will show you options.
>
> ...Takumi

For those of you that are GUI inclined rather than stuck in a command
prompt terminal all the time, cmake-gui is the prettier sister to
ccmake. ;-)

Using cmake-gui also shows all the options. Hovering over a variable
name gives you a tooltip with the documentation string for the
variable.

HTH,
David C.