[cfe-dev] is configure+make dead yet?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu Jun 21 12:55:08 PDT 2012

On 6/21/2012 2:34 PM, Nick Lewycky wrote:

>> Some things that CMake needs to do well for it to become the only way to
>> build LLVM/Clang:
>>    - Optionally build and install compiler-rt
>>    - Optionally build and install libc++
>>    - Ease-to-use cross-compilation support
>>    - Documentation to make it easy to understand how to do the above
>>    - LLDB?
>>    - LLVM testsuite support
>>
>> And some value-add that might make CMake motivating for others:
>>    - Easy bootstrap
>>    - Build packages/installers

Hi,  Bill Hoffman from the CMake team.  Just wanted to add a bit to
this.  CMake has support for cross compiling:

http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Cross_Compiling

Also, I think one of the other concerns mentioned was speed.  Currently
we are working on a ninja (new build tool from some google folks)
generator for CMake.  It has proved itself to very fast.  So,
CMake+ninja and setting up cross-compiling support would work well for
LLVM/Clang.

-Bill