[cfe-dev] Patch for review: enhancement to __builtin_strlen

Andy Gibbs andyg1001 at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Jun 21 09:58:40 PDT 2012

Hi,

I would like to offer a patch for review that extends the use of the
compile-time evaluation of __builtin_strlen to include immutable
null-terminated const char arrays, i.e. beyond just standard string
literals.  (It will still fall back to runtime use of library strlen, if
compile-time evaluation is not possible/required -- this side of the
functionality is not changed).

This is not a bug fix but a feature enhancement, which I believe may have
broader appeal to those developing with C++11 and, in particular, with
user-defined literals.

The target use for this would be in generating transparent wrapper classes
for user-defined literals, so that these may be used in situations wherever
normal strings may be used.

Let's say we have the following simplified setup:

template <char... String>
struct Literal {
  private:
  typedef const char type[sizeof...(String)+1];
  static constexpr type string = { String..., 0 };

  public:
  constexpr operator const type&() const { return string; }

  // room for more implementation, such as operator[] and
  // also string manipulation, such as operator+, and so on.
  }
};

template <char... String> constexpr char Literal<String...>::string[];

template <char... String>
constexpr Literal<String...> operator"" _str() {
  return Literal<String...>();
}

With the attached patch, __builtin_strlen(12345_str) will now return 5,
rather than throw a compiler error, and so opens up the use of such a
wrapper class to macros which make use of __builtin_strlen.

The patch is intended to be very conservative in terms of what it will
accept, and so the extension only allows constant sized arrays of const char
(__builtin_strlen limits this to char, although wchar_t, etc. would work
otherwise) and where the compiler can evaluate the expression as a constant
array (i.e. not a pointer or an lvalue of an array that can be modified at
runtime, for example).  I believe there are adequate checks to stop
incorrect compilation, for example, incorrectly doing a compile-time
evaluation of __builtin_strlen on a variable which is not immutable, but
please can this be particularly verified by someone.

I have included a test-case in the patch.

Please let me know if this interests anyone.

Thanks
Andy