[cfe-dev] [llvm-commits] [llvm] r158787 - in /llvm/trunk: include/llvm/Analysis/LoopInfo.h include/llvm/Analysis/LoopInfoImpl.h lib/Analysis/LoopInfo.cpp lib/CodeGen/MachineLoopInfo.cpp

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Wed Jun 20 00:59:46 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 12:29 AM, John McCall <rjmccall at apple.com> wrote:

> On Jun 20, 2012, at 12:18 AM, Chandler Carruth wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 12:11 AM, John McCall <rjmccall at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 19, 2012, at 11:12 PM, Andrew Trick wrote:

>> 'extern' for this to be valid (
>> http://www.informit.com/guides/content.aspx?g=cplusplus&seqNum=549 is
>> the best link I have).

>> as an extension. It often "just works" without it, but my understanding is
>> that technically it isn't valid as any old TU that uses these constructs is
>> supposed to have a definition available.

>> support the extension (MSVC likely, dunno), but where the do, this will
>> make sure everything works together nicely.
>> >
>> > I thought the "extern template" was purely an optimization and unlikely
>> to have any benefit with clang in this limited setting. But I'm glad you
>> pointed it out, because I was hoping someone could explain the situation to
>> me.
>> >
>> > My basis for making the change to explicit instantiation is that we've
>> been using the pattern for a year now elsewhere in LLVM and no one has
>> complained.  I didn't mess with "extern template" because I didn't want to
>> introduce something confusing and compiler-specific without a good reason.
>>
>> Short answer:  extern template is unnecessary;  it is sufficient to have
>> an explicit instantiation somewhere in the code.
>>

> I'm confused. You say this, but then after you're very thorough
> explanation you say:
>

>> An explicit instantiation declaration, e.g.
>>  extern template llvm::LoopBase<BasicBlock, Loop>;
>> is a declaration that there exists an explicit instantiation of that
>> template somewhere in the translation unit.  This is a longstanding GCC
>> feature supported both by clang (always) and MSVC (apparently since at
>> least VS2008);  it is now officially codified into C++11.  Some versions of
>> MSVC give extension warnings about it;  I believe GCC and clang do as well,
>> under -pedantic.
>>
>> Essentially, an explicit instantiation declaration permits the compiler
>> to not instantiate any function bodies associated with that template.  In
>> LLVM terms, we emit these functions as external declarations at -O0, but as
>> available_externally definitions at -O1 and above.
>>
>> So you should be able to get good compile performance with just an extern
>> template declaration and a corresponding explicit instantiation, and this
>> permits inlining/interprocedural analysis as well.
>

> Which seems to contradict this... and...
>

> I don't see the contradiction.  Andy's patch is a correct solution, but
> there is an alternative solution that uses extern template.  Both have
> their merits.

I misread your explanation, and didn't gather that...

>  But there's nothing incorrect about what you're doing now.
>>

> But the definitions for all the member functions are no longer visible to
> the callers of those member functions... They're only defined in one TU,
> and only in that TU do we have the explicit instantiation
>

> That's enough.  There is a translation unit which contains definitions for
> those member functions and explicitly instantiates them.  That satisifies
> [temp]p6:  this code is well-formed.

I see, sorry. I thought that was only in C++11, but it is in C++98, just
tucked away beneath the export madness where i missed it. Thanks for making
me read this paragraph again, and look at the context a bit more carefully.
=]

I still tend to prefer including the extern-template declaration on any
compiler that supports it. It seems a strict (if small) improvement over
the existing code, and relying upon this rule is a safe fallback.