[cfe-dev] Lion wont boot anymore

Dave Zarzycki zarzycki at apple.com
Sun Jun 17 17:42:09 PDT 2012

On Jun 17, 2012, at 4:27 PM, Matthias Dörfelt <hi at mokafolio.de> wrote:

> Hi. I compiled libc++ r138961 and installed it according to the   Instructions. Things worked just fine so i assumed the Build is valid. Anyways now that i try to reboot it wont go past the apple so things seem pretty bad. I can access the osx Partition through Windows (Not sure if the permissions work though) so is there any way to fix this? If not, how can i make sure that a Build is valid the next time so it wont break Lion?
>
> Sorry for the rooky question. Any help welcome!

There are lots of things that can go wrong here, and nothing can *guarantee* that what you build will work. The best you can hope for is something that works for your tests and only your tests. In general, you should not replace OS provided dylibs/programs. This is especially true if you plan to ship apps because you should test your app against the OS Apple ships.

If you still want to go down this route, you should verify that the 1) the dylib contains both i386 and x86_64 slices, 2) the dylib install name is correct, 3) the dylib version is the same or newer, and 4) the same set of symbols is exported.

davez