[cfe-dev] Template specialization: why drop attributes?

Sharlet, Dillon dillon.sharlet at intel.com
Fri Jun 15 13:38:26 PDT 2012

What you said makes sense. However, maybe there is a separate issue, because I don't think the function has already been implicitly instantiated. I see the issue I described with the following program:

template < int N >
int Test(int x) __attribute__((custom))
{
	return x * N;
}

template < >
int Test < 1 > (int x) __attribute__((custom))
{
	return x;
}

int Call(int x) __attribute__((custom))
{
	return Test < 1 > (x);
}

When I compile this, the call to Test < 1 > is to a FunctionDecl that doesn't have the custom attribute, and I can see it getting removed by StripImplicitInstantiation when debugging.

That is the entire program, so I don't think that the implicit specialization has actually been requested until after the explicit specialization is defined.

Thank you for your help!

Dillon