[cfe-dev] AST Matchers tutorial

Sean Silva silvas at purdue.edu
Tue Jul 31 20:09:59 PDT 2012

Thank you for writing this up! :-)

A couple things:

Since you're assuming zero Clang experience, I think you can leave out
the git-svn stuff (since AFAIK that is only relevant for people with
commit access). A simpler way to just checkout LLVM/Clang is

$ git clone http://llvm.org/git/llvm.git
$ cd source/tools
$ git clone http://llvm.org/git/clang.git

The git-svn checkout stuff that you are doing looks kind of fearsome.
It's easier for a newcomer to just use a pure git workflow.

Also, you may want to touch on the scenario that a person already has
CMake installed. E.g., that it should be a certain version, needs to
be compiled with certain flags, etc.

> Ninja dependency resolver.

I would call this "Ninja build tool".

You should probably link to the LLVM commandline library docs
<http://llvm.org/docs/CommandLine.html> in the relevant part of the
document.

> the loop’s index variable is compared against N - 1

generally aren't half-open loops comparing against N, and not N-1? e.g.
for (int I = 0, N = 10; I != N; ++I)

I think that just a little bit more explanation about the use of
FoldingSetNodeID in areSameExpr() would be good. (just explain roughly
what it does, links to docs, etc)

As far as your patch. My gut seems inclined to have this inside the
examples/ subdirectory, since the code is really just example code to
accompany the tutorial.

That's all for now. Thank you so much for the extensive docs!

--Sean.