[cfe-dev] Any known issues with libc++ exceptions and cross-thread exception propagation?

Howard Hinnant hhinnant at apple.com
Sat Jul 21 15:02:10 PDT 2012

On Jul 21, 2012, at 5:28 PM, Joe Groff <arcata at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Howard Hinnant <hhinnant at apple.com> wrote:
>> Wow, awesome debugging job Joe!  Sorry about the bug.  It has been fixed in the llvm version of libc++abi (http://libcxxabi.llvm.org).
>
> Good to know, Howard. Is it supported to build and link against static
> libc++ and libc++abi libraries newer than the platform's?

Nope.

But I do regularly for development purposes.  A nice non-intrusive way to do this temporarily is:

$ export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=<path>:<path>

$ man dyld
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
              This  is  a colon separated list of directories that contain libraries. The dynamic linker searches these directories
              before it searches the default locations for libraries. It allows you to test new versions of existing libraries.

              For each library that a program uses, the dynamic linker looks for it in each directory in DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH in turn.
              If  it  still can't find the library, it then searches DYLD_FALLBACK_FRAMEWORK_PATH and DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH in
              turn.

              Use the -L option to otool(1).  to discover the frameworks  and  shared  libraries  that  the  executable  is  linked
              against.

I point DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH towards my recent libc++abi build in one shell, and not in another, and I can easily run the same executable from either shell and note differences.

Howard