[cfe-dev] LLVM and CLANG Books / Good Documentation

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Fri Jul 6 07:29:59 PDT 2012

On 7/6/12 5:36 AM, Satya Prakash Prasad wrote:
> Can anyone please let me know if there is any books / offline study
> material / online study materials / documents / code examples for
> usage of LLVM and CLANG?
>
> Unfortunately all of my offline / online search is leading me to no
> results. This I see as a bottleneck also for its usage.
>
> I understand that CLANG is really very powerful compiler but I am
> unable to explore its functionalities due to lack of knowledge /
> expertise and guidance.

The LLVM and Clang websites are the best place to find documentation.

LLVM documentation can be found online at http://llvm.org/docs. Clang
has a user's manual at http://clang.llvm.org/docs/UsersManual.html and
an internals manual at http://clang.llvm.org/docs/InternalsManual.html.
If you're coding for LLVM and/or Clang, be sure to use the doxygen
documentation to get information on C++ classes that you can use to
manipulate the IR.

If you want code examples, there's the analysis passes in LLVM (e.g.
llvm/lib/Analysis and llvm/lib/Transforms) as well as the code in the
various sub-projects like Poolalloc and SAFECode.  There are probably
similar code examples in Clang.

If you just want to use Clang, remember that it's a drop-in replacement
for GCC, so many of GCC's command-line options should work.

-- John T.