[cfe-dev] C++ analysis priorities

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Tue Jan 17 11:02:35 PST 2012

Hi Ahmed,

As others pointed out, there is interest in this.  The analyzer already recognizes attributes in to extend its functionality, so when you speak about "annotations" it really depends on the scope of the work.

Designing a general annotation system is essentially language design.  It's a potentially worthy endeavor if it is well focused, but it is a big effort.  Instead, the focus on attributes has largely been demand driven, focusing on simple but well-defined objectives.  That negative of that approach is that it can be myopic, but it does result in progress.  A reasonable trajectory is to provide such focused annotations, and when a more general solution arises phase that old syntax out and replace with the newer syntax.  There are various rollout strategies for that approach.

Did you have a particular problem you were hoping to solve with annotations?  On one extreme, one could have an annotation system powerful enough to define checkers, and on the other extreme you can have annotations to handle spot issues.  There is plenty of interesting territory between those extremes.

Cheers,
Ted