[cfe-dev] C++ analysis priorities

Jean-Daniel Dupas devlists at shadowlab.org
Fri Jan 13 15:47:31 PST 2012

Le 13 janv. 2012 à 23:28, Anna Zaks a écrit :

> Having annotations is something we are definitely interested in.
>
> I think, one reason why we still do not have them is that designing expressive enough annotations is not a trivial task. Writing an effective checker for the most popular functions first would provide feedback on what they should be.
>
> Do you have examples on the specific scenarios on what you'd like to annotate (or are you mostly talking about the malloc/free like pairs)?

AFAIk, if this is for malloc/free pairs, you can use the ownership attributes (ownership_holds, ownership_returns, ownership_takes).

void __attribute((ownership_returns(malloc))) *malloc(size_t);
void __attribute((ownership_takes(malloc, 1))) free(void *);

If you have your own allocator that is not malloc based, you can use an other identifier.

void __attribute((ownership_returns(my_pool))) *my_malloc(size_t);
void __attribute((ownership_takes(my_pool, 1))) my_free(void *);

> Thanks,
> Anna.
> On Jan 13, 2012, at 10:55 AM, Ahmed Charles wrote:
>
>> Slightly off topic, but something I've been wondering for a while.
>> Without actually investing this, but instead just reading the list, it
>> seems that most of the checkers that are written are specific to known
>> functions. For example, the malloc checker works for known allocation
>> functions rather than arbitrary ones. Is there a reason why there isn't
>> an effort to make this more extensible so that any function that is
>> annotated to be an allocation function can benefit from the malloc
>> checker (other than the obvious issue of resources and prioritization)?
>> And similar for other checkers. I'm mostly interested in why this
>> possibility is never explicitly talked about.

-- Jean-Daniel